Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving Rewind (US version)

So obviously the 4th Thursday in November doesn’t mean the same thing here in Lithuania as it does in America. In fact, I was even taken aback when I was asked what the holiday is actually for. Trying to explain this literally to people from a different country was a lot harder than expected. My 5th grade Social Studies answer ended up coming out as something along the lines of “when English people first came to America they sat down and had a big meal with the Indians who were already there to celebrate coming together”. Yeah, I know, I would lose on “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” but at least it got the point across. Haha.
Thanksgiving Day 2010 for me was spent mostly in airports. We were travelling back from our game in France and didn’t get home to Kaunas til the evening. So my big Thanksgiving Day meal was a bowl of Mac and Cheese (at least it was a little American right?). This day definitely reminded me of one thing that I am so thankful for- technology. Through the glorious ways of Skype I was able to still be a part of my family Thanksgivings at home. The way the Kemezys fam gets down for Turkey Day is church in the morning (which no, unfortunately, I was not able to Skype in for :) ), Dad’s side of the family for lunch and then Mom’s side of the fam for dinner. And at both places I was able to see almost every family member possible. In 3 words- It. Was. AWESOME!!! Since Dad’s side is a smaller crowd they mainly all huddled around the computer at once, with Mociute front and center of course. This skype session consisted of—Maria playing a song she wrote on her guitar (so impressive!), me telling all my Lithuanian stories and Uncle Arvid making fun of my attempts to actually speak Lithuanian. Oh and how could I forget some amazing cameo appearances by Mrs. Weston, Uncle Jim’s mom- she definitely always livens up a family party! :) I stayed on with them for about an hour and we all shared in our usual banter back and forth, making me feel like I was actually there.
Next, I moved on with the family to the Lockwood’s house for the Klingelhoefer fam’s gathering. There were some technical difficulties here, in that apparently I was only a small, dark picture to them, but I could see everyone perfectly so it worked out well for me! Since there were quite a few more people at this shindig, there was more of a procession here, where people took turns filing in and out to catch up. As much as I talk to a few of my cousins regularly, it was great to see all the extended family members that I miss so much. Also, this was the first time I skyped with my Grams, and although she seemed a little leery about talking through a computer, it still warmed my heart to see her. And no offense to anyone else, but the other most exciting part was to see my baby boy Dalton! Ok, he’s actually my cousins Em and Matt’s baby boy, but I sure do miss him the most from home. After being there from the minute he was born, it’s so hard being away now and missing him grow up! I can’t believe how big he looked on camera and how big he is gonna be when I get home to see him at Christmas. And yes family, I get all-time dibs on holding him! :) So although it was a little bittersweet actually seeing him, it also absolutely made my day anddd I’m pretty sure I heard him say “Manda.” ;)
So even though I had to stay up til 3 am my time, it was well worth it to get to semi spend the day with all my family. Like I said, I really am so thankful for technology allowing me to do this. And at the same time, this Thanksgiving, I of course did some cheesy reflecting on the things I am most thankful for (come on, it’s me, queen of cheesiness). Basically, I just cannot get over how much God has blessed me with such a wonderful life. For starters, I am taking part in an amazing opportunity right now- being able to play professional basketball in the country of my ancestors. Growing up with my Dad’s side of the fam so proud of our heritage, it is so special to be able to experience it all first hand and then to share all of that with my relatives back home. It also makes it that much more special that I am surrounded by such a great group of people here. It’s hard going through the holiday season wanting to be home with family, but at the same time, (as cliché as it sounds) my team here really is like my family. I’ve made great friends that I know care so much for me and I am making great friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.
Along the same giving-thanks trend, I just have to say THANK YOU to everyone who has sent me a card, package, email, message or whatever wishing me luck on this adventure. I had told my mom awhile back about how I don’t think I ever felt so loved by so many people until I left the country! Haha. It sounds weird, but seriously the outpouring of well wishes I’ve received so far is just unbelievable to me. Including all you blog readers, I just can’t believe how many people care so much about the experiences I’m going through. It is so awesome and just re-iterates to me how much God has blessed me to be surrounded by such caring, loving people in my life. For that, I can never be thankful enough. :)
And here are a few pics I snapped during the Skype experiences....

Most of Dad's side of the fam

Mrs. Weston giving Mociute some love :)

What a cutie!! And you're lookin good too Emmy! :)


Blowing me a kiss! <3


The most family members we could fit in the pic. Can't wait to see you all soon!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment