Thursday, November 25, 2010

The team that prays together, stays together

Yes, this might be a record for the most recent blog I've done in awhile! We just returned from our game in France, where we unfortunately suffered another Euroleague loss. This time it was only by 4 and we were in the game most of the time, but a lousy first half and poor execution down the stretch killed our chances. This was the most I’ve gotten to play in a Euroleague game though, and although my stats once again aren’t great, I held my own (yes I know, I need to work on that stats part so I can stop just saying “I held my own”).

Anyways, I’ll spare all the basketball details because quite frankly it’s a loss that’s still stinging and I’d rather not relive it. But besides the game, France was a great experience itself. If you noticed in the name of my blog, I’m kind of obsessed with the book (and movie) Eat Pray Love. And although the Pray part was tweeked a little for the sole purpose of a fun play on words, this trip was definitely the Pray leg of my journey. Our game itself was in Tarbes, France but the hotel we stayed at was actually in a small town called Lourdes that basically sits in the middle of the Pyrenees Mountains (hence the gorgeous mountain pics!). Some of the girls told me about the religious significance of the town, and after doing a little Google-ing of my own I discovered that Lourdes is considered one of the most sacred places in all of Europe and the most visited pilgrimage shrine in the Christian world. People come from all over the world every year to visit the sacred church and grotto of Lourdes, believing that it has special healing powers (For some more info on Lourdes, click here- http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/france/interesting_lourdes_facts.html).

Although I am Lutheran, not Catholic, and am not sure if I felt any true “healing powers,” I do know that being in such a spiritual place was an incredibly moving experience for me. We had free time before our game Wednesday and the whole team walked about 2 blocks to the church/grotto area. You’ll be able to see in the following pictures that there is basically a large church in the middle of a town square and then if you go around the side, that is where the grotto is in the side of the mountain/church. We all went through the grotto, each having some time to take in the moment, and then we walked over to an area that was a huge alley of booths where you could light sacred candles for people who have passed away. Although I didn’t light a candle, I did have an opportunity to have a moment of prayer and reflection with God. Most of you know that I’ve had a few loved ones pass away while I’ve been here and the grieving process from half a world away has been hard to go through to say the least. Even though I didn’t let myself get completely overwhelmed in this moment, I really did feel more at peace being in such a sacred place. So yeah, I think that Aunt Jan, Bonnie and my Louisburg Grams (Liv’s grandma) were all there looking down on me in France. :)

Walking back towards the church from the grotto, we also had another pretty cool experience where we were able to partake in the holy water there (I know Kate, “partake” is a big vocab word, but it’s the most fitting :) ). Some of the girls had brought their own water bottles to fill up and take back with them, but the rest of us simply washed our hands and faces with the water. Also, Migle had brought an extra-large bottle that she filled and then we all passed around and took a drink from. Ok, let me get my random, immature thoughts out before I get back to being serious. I thought of 2 things while drinking- 1) Either we’re all going to be blessed with good health or we’re all going to get swine flu, and 2) when it was my turn to drink I kept thinking of myself as Sean Connery’s character in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when he drinks out of the Holy Grail. Too bad I didn’t have any bullet holes in me to see if it worked…

Anyways, joking aside, the whole experience was pretty cool and definitely another one to add to my collection. Not only was it neat for me personally, but it was pretty special to share that experience with my team. Most Lithuanians are very devout Catholics and although I’m not for sure that all the girls on the team are, you could tell that they were all just as moved by the whole experience. Like I said, the team that prays together, stays together. :)

View out of our hotel window
Awesome snow-covered mountains

Walking the streets of France, no big deal :)


St. Louis of France? Perfect!

Gorgeous Church


Sacred grotto


Alley of sacred candles


Getting our holy water


View looking out from the top


Blessed team :)

No comments:

Post a Comment