Monday, November 8, 2010

¡Hola Amiga!

Don’t have much time to write since I need to get packing for our trip to Istanbul, Turkey early tomorrow morning (we play Wednesday). But I had to update on our Spain trip from last week (and yes, I’ll try to use Spanglish as much as possible). The game itself was no bueno. We lost, playing probably the worst that we have all year. And the crowd was absolutely LOCO- the stands were packed from floor to ceiling, there were about 10 people with snare drums and the whole crowd was into every play of the game like it was the World Cup (thankfully there were no vuvuzelas). So even though they were violently routing against us, playing in an atmosphere like that was an experience itself.
Besides the game though, a major highlight of the trip can be summed up in 3 letters- K T M. For those unfamiliar, KTM is the loving term of endearment that our SLU team came up with last year for one of our managers, Katy Dominick, aka Katy The Manager (KTM). Although she shuns her nickname and will probably kill me for using it in this blog, Katy and I have become muy buenas amigas in the past year. As luck would have it, Katy is studying abroad in Madrid, Spain this semester and it worked out (or rather she made it work out) that she could travel to Salamanca to see my game and hang with me for a bit. Since our game was late in the evening we had some free time where Katy and I got to walk around the town a little and then just hang out in the hotel. She then came to our game and sat cheering for us in the middle of hundreds of screaming opposing fans which took some courage and was awesome! After the game our team president took us all out for drinks (yes, even after a terrible loss, we still go out for wine as a team…jackpot) and Katy got to come along there too which was great. I can’t put into words how much it meant for her to come and to get to spend some time with a loved one from home. It was perfect timing too since this is about the halfway point for me until Christmas so the little bit of KTM definitely breathed some new life into me! :) So GRACIAS KATY!!! TE AMO!! :)
Here are some pics from the trip. Salamanca was absolutely beautiful (the weather was awesome)! Our hotel was in the middle of a little town center and before Katy had got there some of us girls went out and explored a little which was fun. So enjoy los fotos! ;)

Plaza by the hotel. This pic doesn't do it justice, it was pretty cool and busy.

Focal point of the plaza

Part of the team in the plaza. And notice I had them make "big, American smiles." They've still got some work to do but we're getting there. :)

Had to do a crazy pic too of course

Streets we shopped in. So happy to see an H & M! (I bought a scarf...of course. Ha.)

My little Migle and I in the streets. :)

Huge Cathedral we saw.

My #1 fan in Spain!!! :)

Plaza at night- so cool!

Loving life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment