Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Firsts: Games and soup. (Fri-Sun, Sept 10-12)

Yes, I love blogging, but I have to admit I’m terrible at keeping up with it (if you couldn’t tell). So sorry to all of you loyal readers out there (aka mom and dad). Rather than trying to do each day that I missed I’m gonna fast forward a little now and then maybe go back and do a big recap entry later.

This past weekend we had our first games. They are just like exhibition/pre-season games and don’t really count but I was very anxious to play and see what a European game is actually like. It’s funny to think, but I realized on Thursday that I didn’t even know some of the basic rules such as when can you leave on a free throw- when the ball leaves their hand or touches the rim? Little things like that that seem simple but could be a potentially embarrassing mistake are what I was looking forward to figuring out.

We had a light practice Friday morning and then left right afterwards. A few girls drove themselves, but most of us road a bus (which was really just like a big van, similar in size to an airport shuttle) for our 2 hour trip to Druskininkai, Lithuania. We finally pulled up in this back alley and got out to find our “hotel” for the weekend. This was no Hilton, Holiday Inn or even Country Inn and Suites, but more of a bed and breakfast type place. For all of my basketball peeps, Coach Gray definitely would have pulled an “Andy f’n Landers wouldn’t stay here!!!” Hahaha. As we walked in and headed to our rooms, we all caught a glimpse of what one of the tiny rooms looked like, with an itty bitty bed and humble amenities. I’m not sure if it was the look on my face that gave away my feelings, but one of the girls said, “Don’t worry Amanda, we are scared too.” So that made me feel much better knowing that this type of hotel was not the norm. Ha.

After getting settled we walked to the gym (yes walked, about 10 minutes. Have to say this is the first time I’ve ever walked to a game. Weird.). The other 2 teams in the tournament were playing before us so it was good to watch a little bit and get an idea of what I’d be in for. Our first game was against a Polish (I think?!) team and after getting out to a big lead, we were in control for most of the game. We ended up winning by about 15 and I probably got to play about 15 minutes and did ok. Honestly, it was nice just to get the first game under my belt and nerves out of my system.

Once we got back to the hotel we ate and then two of the girls, Marina and Giedre (who both speak English pretty well), asked if I wanted to walk to the store with them to get some snacks. This turned out to be probably my favorite night since I’ve been here because the girls spoke English with me the whole time, asked all about me and filled me in on a lot of things about the team that I had obviously missed since I can never understand anyone. It sounds crazy, but this was definitely the kind of night I needed where I could just hang out with some teammates and feel normal.

The next day we played at 11 against the 3rd best team in Russia (btw Russia is like the holy grail of Euro women’s basketball so this was a big deal). We stayed with them for most of the game but ended up losing by about 10. I got to play a little more and again, held my own for the most part. That night was the big Lithuania-USA men’s World Championship semifinal basketball game aka a HUGE deal. In fact our game was originally supposed to be in the evening, but they moved up all game times so we could see the men’s game. Most of our team and a few Lithuanian girls from the Russian team we had just played all watched the game together in like a lounge area at a nearby hotel. Some of you may have not even known that the World Championships were going on, but in Lithuania it is SUCH a big deal (all bball is a big deal here). So after a little trash talking, since I was obvi rooting for USA, the game started. This was definitely a different experience because everyone was so into the game- like cheering and high fiving literally each time Lith scored. I only clapped a few times and threw in a few fist pumps when big plays happened, but I definitely did not try to show up the Lithuanian cheering. I was happy that USA won obviously but actually felt a little bad because it meant so much to all of them. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that few people in the US even cared about the game…

Sunday was our last game and was against another Polish team. We got out to a hot start and kept it going for most of the game. I only got to play for about 5-7 minutes all in the second half this game which I gotta admit has not happened often to me. After doing ok in the first two games I of course started panicking when coach kept putting other girls in. It’s not that I was mad about it, I’m definitely a team player, but in this situation I kept worrying if I had done something wrong or was not playing up to coach’s expectations. This is even harder to gauge because I really get little, if any, feedback on anything I do (which is definitely against my nature- I’m for sure the type that needs to hear if I’m doing something right or wrong). So I guess all this thinking drove me even crazier because when I did get in I played absolutely terrible. It was tough to get into the flow of the game by that point and things did not go well. So the weekend ended on a down note for me personally, but I was glad that the team went 2-1 and that we were able to get some games under our belts.
(Also, I would like to note that one difference between Euro and American play is the physicality. Since I’m not the most agile or athletic player (gasp!), I tend to bank on using my strength but this did not go over well in these games. I got at least one foul per game that was basically just on account of roughness. And although my loyal fans that I’m used to having at all my games- parents, Kate, Mociute, the Weston’s and Uncle Arvid- weren’t there to tell me in person, I knew that it’d be the first thing they’d say after the game. So sorry guys, I’ll work on it for next time. :) )
Our final meal at the hotel before we left brought another big first for me- I finally tried Saltibarsciai. My family and all of Dad’s relatives know what a big deal this is! But before I go on I must supply a picture so you can fully grasp the weight of the situation.

Pepto Bismal right?? Wrong. Soup.
Saltibarsciai is a traditional Lithuanian cold beet soup that Mociute (my Dad’s mom) has always made every few months and sent home with my Dad ever since I can remember. It is a bright Pepto Bismal pink and although Dad always tried to get any of us to taste it, Mom, Kate and I never dared. But today was the day. I had asked the girls on the team about it at the previous nights’ dinner so they were all happy to see that I now had an opportunity to try it. Let me get this straight- I had asked them about it as a topic of conversation, I did NOT imply that I couldn’t wait to try it! But, with Mociute in mind, I picked up my spoon and dove in. I gotta say, it was not nearly as bad as I had always imagined and this was one Lithuanian experience I was happy to check off my list. I only took about 10 total bites and the girls laughed when I said I thought I had had enough for my first time. Ha.
We ventured back in our bus to Kaunas and I was happy to finally be “home” and get on the Internet to catch up with family, friends and American life since I couldn’t connect to the web in the Lithuanian B&B. With the rest of the day and Monday off, I enjoyed just resting, reading and reflecting on my first new basketball experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment