Monday, September 6, 2010

LABAS!!!

Labas family and friends!! (Labas means hi. It’s one of the 5 Lithuanian words I know so far :)). So here is the start of my blog. I’m sure everyone has tons of questions as to what I’m doing and what it’s like over here, so hopefully this helps answer everything. I hope to update it often and include pictures and videos so that you can all be a part of my journey with me. And for any of you who have ever gotten a card or letter from me know, I tend to be long-winded when I write so bear with me. :) Also, please feel free to comment as much as you want or ask any questions.

As a little background in case you know nothing about my situation, God has blessed me with the once in a lifetime opportunity to move to Kaunas, Lithuania to play professional basketball for the VICI Kaunas club. My dad’s side of the family is from Lithuania, with my grandparents just coming to America during WW2. My dad, Aunt Lina, Uncle Arvid, Uncle Kestas and Mociute (grandma) Vita all speak fluent Lithuanian. Although I grew up with them always speaking it around me, I never actually learned much more than the Lithuanian version of the birthday song- which most people I know have had the pleasure of us singing to you at some point :)

 Also, I have to say that although I am away from my family and friends pretty much for the first time in my life (going to college 20 minutes away from home doesn’t really count), I have never felt more loved in my life. Thank you to everyone who has facebooked, emailed, skyped or called me leading up to me leaving and once I got here. You have no idea what all of your messages or comments have meant to me. It has really meant a lot that people from all areas of my life have been so supportive of me during this crazy adventure. I can never thank you enough for all the love and confidence that you have given me!!

 The Fam and I celebrating my signing with some Lithuanian vodka!

2 comments:

  1. Where can I get an authentic Lithuanian basketball jersey? Is this something I can find on eastbay.com???? :) Go get 'em, Ted-o!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerseys are a little expensive but i could def see you rocking out this t!! http://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=11041&cat=0709&title=Lithuanian_T%2Dshirts

    ReplyDelete